Dampness is not only injurious to building but it effects adversely the health of their inhabitants. It becomes. therefore, essential to know WHAT ARE THE HARMFUL EFFECTS OF DAMPNESS so that the building can be constructed damp proof.
WHAT ARE THE HARMFUL EFFECTS OF DAMPNESS:
Following are the common harmful effects of dampness in a building:
(1) It causes dry rot to the wooden member provided in a building.
(2) It causes corrosion of metals used in the construction of a building.
(3) It causes peeling off and removal of the plaster.
(4) It causes the paints to get blistered and bleached and the surface thus gets disfigured.
(5) It causes floor of the building to remain ugly since they cannot be cleaned well.
(6) Carpet, if used on floor of a damped building gets destroyed earlier.
(7) All electric installations get deteriorated.
(8) It causes efflorescence which effects the exposed surface of the brickwork to disintegrate and fall to powder.
(9) It reduces the life of the structure as a whole.
(10) IT causes unhygienic conditions for the occupants of he building and effects adversely their health.